A circular economy is one that reuses and repurposes products and materials - diverting waste away from landfill, protecting our limited natural resources and reducing carbon emissions. While renewable energy and energy efficiency measures account for 55% of carbon emissions, the remaining 45% comes from producing cars, clothing, food and other everyday products. (Ellen Macarthur Foundation)
Given its impact, a circular economy should be a fundamental principle of any Net Zero target. The three core tenets of designing out waste and pollution, keeping products and materials in use and regenerating natural systems are natural resource saving, jobs creating and safer environment making. On a community level, that might mean funding and promoting repair cafes while in industry, it may involve looking at how we use cement, steel, plastics and aluminium - which account for 60% of all industry emissions.
The circular economy case studies look at how LAs are creating jobs as part of a green recovery. They explore how their frameworks are enabling the private and public sectors to work alongside academia and industry to create a truly fair, sustainable, local economy.