The Climate Leadership Academy offers ambitious councillors a unique coaching opportunity to develop their political skills, knowledge and confidence, in order to become leading climate pioneers in local government. Participants will leave able to overcome the challenges in designing and delivering ambitious, local climate projects, to enable remarkable progress towards their organisation's Net Zero goals.
How does it work?
The Climate Leadership Academy will bring together a cohort of 20 councillors to attend tailored residential workshops and coaching from experts in the private, voluntary, and public sector. These will take place over three residential weekends between September - November 2022.
The course has been shaped and informed by an advisory board of local politicians who are well established climate pioneers within local government.
The Climate Leadership Academy will take place over three residential weekends in London, Birmingham and Manchester. The core dates are:
- Weekend 1 - 10th - 11th September 2022
- Weekend 2 - 8th - 9th October 2022
- Weekend 3 - 19th - 20th November 2022
Sessions will cover key policy areas including:
- Decarbonising Homes and Buildings
- Decarbonising Transport
- Financing the transition
- Nature & Adaptation
The programme will support applicants to develop the following skills and understanding:
- Leadership skills
- Negotiation skills
- Engagement skills
- Understanding officer dynamics
- Political planning and stakeholder management
- Creating effective narratives and storytelling
- Attend three residential weekends with a competitively selected cohort of peers.
- Meet councillors from across the country and political spectrum, representing different tiers of local government.
- Enjoy networking opportunities in the evenings
- Be introduced to foundational principles and approaches to Net Zero in Local Government
- Learn from experts in the private, voluntary, and public sector
What will it cost?
- The programme is free to attend,
- Accommodation and meals will be provided by UK100 over the course of each weekend. Travel costs will need to be met by Councillors’ authorities.
Who should apply?
The Climate Leadership Academy aims to support and encourage councillors in leadership positions to be bold and ambitious climate pioneers- councillors may be in the cabinet, committee chairs or backbenchers who are soon to be promoted. It is suitable for councillors in any tier, party or location in the UK. To apply for this programme your council must be a member of UK100.
How to apply?
The closing date for applications is Friday 10th June 2022, 12:00pm. Places are limited and attendance at all weekends is mandatory.
Due to the high volume of applications we will be unable to provide individual feedback to unsuccessful candidates.
1. Who should apply?
The Climate Leadership Academy aims to support and encourage councillors in leadership positions to be bold and ambitious climate pioneers - councillors may be in the cabinet, committee chairs or backbenchers who are soon to be promoted. It is suitable for councillors in any tier, party or location in the UK. To apply for this programme your council must be a member of UK100.
We will accept applications from multiple councillors from the same council.
2. How much does the course cost?
The course is fully funded by UK100 and free to applicants. We will cover your accommodation and food on the course. With travel costs to be met by your council.
3. What if I cannot attend all three weekends?
This is a mandatory requirement to be on the course. All applicants must commit to attend all three weekends of training. If you are unable to attend all three, unfortunately you will not be able to take part.
4. How will I know if I am successful?
Once successful candidates have been selected, all applicants will be emailed directly using the email provided on the application form to inform them if they have been successful w/c 11th July 2022. Due to the volume of applicants, we will not be able to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
5. What if I am not selected to take part in the Climate Leadership Academy?
We expect the programme to be heavily oversubscribed, so we are unable to work with everyone who applies to be part of the Climate Leadership Academy in 2022. However, we aim to offer a second cohort of applicants the opportunity to take part in this training programme in 2023.
- If you have any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org